Free Meat

Go down

Free Meat

Post by Calie on Fri May 20, 2011 6:58 pm

Now finding free meat is quite an important thing, it's practically non existent. Some years ago I came across a program in the valley where I lived, decided to sign up for it and ended up with a 1 1/2 year old moose I had to gut, skin and carve myself, with the help of some people who could haul the animal up a tree so I could work on it and a church organization that got me proper carving knives...and my trusty jigsaw to cut through the bones, my landlady, who is also assistant manager of a grocery store, gave me a bunch of bags to store the meat in a freezer and pork fat to add to the cooking (moose have almost no fat on them so you need the pork fat for flavor and so it doesn't end up dry).

This program, and it can exist anywhere so check your local area, was through the conservation office of British Columbia. Basically it's to give away the meat from illegal hunting and fishing, as well as road kill of large animals. It exists for those with little or no income and to prevent waste.

Depending on where you live there are some rules to follow, for instance, where I was living at that time, the hide had to be given to the conservation officer so it could go to the indigenous people. Depending on where you live also dictates who you go through to sign up for this, in Canada it's the Conservation Office, possibly other offices as well. So check around where you live to see if you have such a program.
Calie
Admin

http://caliescorner.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down