The Problems With Video Tutorials

Go down

The Problems With Video Tutorials

Post by Calie on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:40 pm

In this modern day with all the technology out there, it's great to have a video tutorial, mainly because it has many more pictures that show you what you need to do, compared to the sporadic images on some sights that, in some cases, just don't show enough or explain enough.

Now monitors have increased in size greatly over time. I believe the largest publicly available monitor at the time of this posting is either 27 or 28 inches wide, and the fact they are flat and thereby taking less room on the desk is wonderful. I hated those boxy monitors...lol

Problem #1 with video's it's their size when viewing online. Depending on what site you are watching them on, you may have the option to go full screen to view them, which creates problems on it's own. My problem with this is simple, I hate switch back and forth between the full screen video and the program I am using. Then there is the matter of resources available on the system you use. I don't have such a big problem with resources like I use to, yet things can sometimes still slow down.

Problem #2 is the quality of the video I am watching, which usually has to do with the size I am watching it in. I should note at this time that mostly I am watching YouTube video's. On YouTube, as with some other sites, the window for the video is about 5 to 6 inches wide and about 3 inches high. Now that is rather small to view everything that is being done in a tutorial, particularly of 3D programs and the entire video is showing the whole window of the program and you only watch what buttons are clicked. As mentioned you can sometimes use full screen to watch and in many cases that is fine, though I have discovered that increasing the view size can make the video fuzzy or pixelated, thereby making it hard to see what is being done. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do, the video is just poor quality. In such cases I go looking for a better quality video that basically will show the same thing I am looking for.

Problem #3 is the instructions, either by just seeing what buttons are clicked or the voice explaining what is being done. In most cases the person is moving the mouse around way too much, and way too fast to catch what the person is doing. The vocals are not always clear (muffled) and again can sometimes be too fast to understand what is being done, sometime they also say too much, mixing garbage in with the instructions so that you are not sure exactly what the instruction was while listening to conversational garbage. Or, better yet, the instruction jump around all over the place, instead of being short, simple and in order.

Problem #4 is, if you're anything like me and have bad eyes (I really need to wear my glasses), watching a video online can be a problem. Watching video's on a computer can also affect your eyes, causing eyestrain, headaches, etc. If you can't enlarge the view you have even more problems trying to see the instructions, thereby causing eye problems.

And lastly...

Problem #5 you lose your internet connection, thereby eliminating you ability to use tutorials for whatever you are trying to learn.

My Solution To These Problems...

I download the video's (there are several methods to do this) for personal use only, as one must be careful of copyright laws. I convert them to a format that is suitable to watch on the television, either by Xbox360 or DVD player. I burn them to a DVD disk and end up having them at my disposal all the time, watching on the TV to pause and start at will while using the program on the computer, causing less problems with my eyes and being easier to see what is being done with a bigger view then my computer has.

Below are posts about the various methods I use to download, convert, burn and view the many video tutorials that are online. At first I will use images until I can learn to use the video camera to upload my own video of what I do to accomplish all this.

I hope you find my instruction helpful...if at any time you have a problem, make your post and I will see what I can do to help you.

Calie
Admin

http://caliescorner.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Problems With Video Tutorials

Post by Calie on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:17 pm

My first tutorial is pretty simple. As I mentioned I watch a lot of tutorials on YouTube and there are several methods for downloading from there. Recently a plugin for Firefox was released that makes download so simple. It's called YouTube Enhancer.

Go to this site to download and install, click "Get It Now' and it auto installs, you will have to restart Firefox for it to take effect.

http://www.youtubeenhancer.com/

Once it's on your Firefox, go to YouTube and you will see this...

Attachments
YouTube Enhancer 1.jpg (114 Kb) Downloaded 44 times
Calie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Calie on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:24 pm

Click on the spots indicated on this image...

Attachments
YouTube Enhance 2.jpg (71 Kb) Downloaded 26 times
Calie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Calie on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:27 pm

And then finally choose which video format to download. Now the 360 is not bad quality and it's in an mp4 format, making it viewable without conversion for DVD or Xbox. Obviously the 720 HD is better quality and I prefer to download that when available. The image below shows what I mean...

Attachments
YouTube Enhance 3.jpg (77 Kb) Downloaded 25 times
Calie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Calie on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:31 pm

Once you click the format you want, your window will open to download and choose where you want it to go. I have my online downloads always set up so it asks me where I want something put. I find it much easier to send to a preferred folder set up to tell me what's in it before I even open the folder, better organization that way.

Now to view your video's depends on your operating system and the programs you have. The mp4 video's will work in VLC and Nero, I can't voucher for other software.
Calie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Calie on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:47 pm

The next tutorial is for Format Factory. A nifty little program that converts video's, images, music and a host of other things for use in various technology products and programs. As an example is the iPad and iPhone and mp3 players, etc. which require a certain format in order to work on the product. Format Factory has the ability to covert for use in any device you choose. Another aspect is the iamges used for Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro and other programs that require a certain format in order to work. This program will convert images to png, psd, gif, tif, etc. The program also has video and audio joiner, but I have not yet figured out how to use that part of the program.

The program is completely free and can be found here...

http://www.formatoz.com/

I will upload images on how to use it later this week, it really is easy to use and you may figure it out before I get the images uploaded...lol
Calie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down